Magpie Monday!

Monday, 13 April 2020 07:54
dialecticdreamer: My work (Default)
[personal profile] dialecticdreamer
Welcome to the April Magpie Monday for 2020!

This month, we’re one third of the way through the year, and in the middle of some very serious, unusual events. So, I’m going to do something a little unusual: I’m not naming a theme for this month. The topic is wide open! The whole point is to create stories that make people feel better after reading, without mudslinging or slogging through huge upsets. Small things are okay, especially when happy endings are the goal. It’s great to earn the happy ending, sure, but we’re not recreating the labors of Hercules, here!

If there’s an idea a reader would like, jump in and suggest it (via private message if that is more comfortable), and be as specific as needed to convey exactly what is wanted. “How about showing Heron finding out what his previous year’s roommates are doing?” is fine. So is “I want to see someone get the full brunt of logical consequences for bullying, and have random witnesses support the victim, including preventing the situation from escalating. Pick a universe (since it’s unlikely to be ours)!”

Even something as simple as “I want snuggles and cuddles between two people who are close, but I don’t care about the other details” is a perfectly wonderful prompt.

I do ask that readers not suggest stories in the Redshift universe, as that is brand new and for every hour of writing, there’s at least half an hour of world-building decisions that have to be made.

Because many people find the current world health crisis disturbing, any sickfic or story focused on care and cuddling for a person with a physical illness will not be specific, unless the details are used to imply a mild, familiar “bug” like a garden variety cold. Those are still unpleasant, and since the point is to get a little vicarious comfort, that should be appropriate without stressing readers when summaries or sponsored stories are posted. Those will have a PSA for “sickfic,” however, just to be extra cautious.

To jump in feet first, the event is open to prompts as soon as this is posted, and the window for making suggestions runs until I drop into bed just before Tuesday turns into Wednesday. On Tuesday, I’ll post one of the prompt fills as a freebie for everyone to enjoy, and Wednesday will bring the next story in the Redshift series.

The goal is to write a five hundred word (minimum) story for each person who offers a prompt. If there is absolutely one story that is ideal, the easy way to guarantee that it’s the chosen prompt is simply to only offer one suggestion. If there are a dozen ideas bouncing around and any of them would be interesting, by all means, list them all. (That gives me the HARD job of choosing only one!)

Five hundred words is only about two pages in a standard paperback book. If I’m reading fiction, that’s less than thirty seconds. Which… I’m hoping to write an amuse bouche for the mind, not the equivalent of a single popcorn kernel! So, let’s make it easier to add words: boost the signal!

Copy the paragraph in the text box below, and paste it on various sites as appropriate. Then include links when offering prompts, and I’ll add a hundred words per signal boost (one for Dreamwidth, one for LJ, and so on); copy-paste is perfectly fine for this. Yes, yes, I am aware that I seem incapable of writing less than a thousand word short stories, but I do not want to disappoint readers over basic mechanical issues.


Once the first prompt arrives, I start writing. When that private reading copy is sent to the reader, I’ll reply to the comment with a thumbnail summary and a word count rounded down to the nearest hundred words. Once the last prompt fill is sent in a private reading copy, I’ll create a report including total word count for the event, links to any posted stories, and a suggested donation to post each prompt fill.

Donations are a difficult topic right now, and I understand that. However, my goal for this year is still to be able to generate enough tips to pay my rent each month. That means reaching toward a goal of $150 for this event, and if so, I’ll post a bonus: an 8k story in the Strange Family series, doubling the total word count for everyone to enjoy. If readers can use the Paypal memo line, telling me which story, whether the sponsor wants credit or to leave that to our mutual friend A. Nonymous, and DW nickname will be tremendously appreciated. If Paypal doesn’t include memo options, a private message will be perfectly fine.

Posting stories will happen as soon as donations arrive, and everything will be checked for typos or HTML errors, but if any slip through, please let me know.

The Magpie Monday prompt call is now CLOSED to new prompts! Thanks for playing along!













Tags:

(no subject)

Monday, 13 April 2020 16:45 (UTC)
siliconshaman: black cat against the moon (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] siliconshaman
One request: FLUFF! Pure, cotton-candy feel-good FlooF! Shiv and Luci go on a brother/sister date night... I.e Luci drags Shiv out to a restaurant, [which could lead into the onigri incident as they try to make some at home.]

Re: Sent via PM

Monday, 13 April 2020 20:01 (UTC)
siliconshaman: black cat against the moon (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] siliconshaman
Oh, that's just PERFECT!

(no subject)

Monday, 13 April 2020 16:46 (UTC)
librarygeek: cute cartoon fox with nose in book (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] librarygeek
How about Heron as a teenager learning to bake soda bread and cakes instead of yeast items with his complications?

My teenager has started baking cakes from scratch, instead of boxed mix like me. I do make biscuits and scones from scratch though! Somehow, I was afraid of cakes from scratch.

Well ...

Monday, 13 April 2020 21:24 (UTC)
ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
Cakes and breads are more finicky than many other recipes. However, if you're careful about measuring, the basic ones aren't really all that hard. I've made cakes from scratch and from mix. Honestly, there's not much difference in flavor/texture. Scratch has less junk in it, and you can make more flavors, but it's considerably more work.

Re: Well ...

Posted by [personal profile] librarygeek - Monday, 13 April 2020 22:50 (UTC) - Expand

Re: Well ...

Posted by [personal profile] alexseanchai - Tuesday, 14 April 2020 05:59 (UTC) - Expand

Re: Well ...

Monday, 13 April 2020 22:45 (UTC)
librarygeek: cute cartoon fox with nose in book (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] librarygeek
SlytherClaw Teen started with some buttermilk cakes and they're very tasty so far. I let them use the Red Velvet bakery emulsion I got towards their favorite type of cake, and it's gorgeous!

Re: Well ...

Posted by [personal profile] ysabetwordsmith - Monday, 13 April 2020 22:50 (UTC) - Expand

Re: Sent via PM

Monday, 13 April 2020 22:51 (UTC)
librarygeek: cute cartoon fox with nose in book (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] librarygeek
PERFECT. :-) Tuppence per word rate now, yes?

Sending in my usual good wishes multiplier! <3

Prompts

Monday, 13 April 2020 18:03 (UTC)
ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
I want to see Orson get fired for hassling Victor. Full logical consequences are desired! Bonus if it happens in public, rather than private, to make the policy crystal clear to everyone.

Forgot to add: I have boosted the signal on DW, LJ, and FB.
Edited Monday, 13 April 2020 21:25 (UTC)

(no subject)

Monday, 13 April 2020 18:05 (UTC)
Posted by [personal profile] jtthomas
Might be my first time prompting? Not that I can remember at this point. (Spoons prevent much commenting/prompting activity, but one or two to spare today.)

Boosts (two):
https://twitter.com/AriTrahan/status/1249758327677915137
https://ari-the-dodecahedron.dreamwidth.org/22798.html

Prompt: small fluffy animals, perhaps of the chick or bunny variety, possibly featuring young!Molly/Heron or young!Graham/Tolli pairs? Basically the lesson of "being taught to be very gentle with younglings", but even fluffier because there's literal fluff.

Does this count?

Monday, 13 April 2020 21:18 (UTC)
fuzzyred: Me wearing my fuzzy red bathrobe. (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] fuzzyred
Can I prompt this one, that you left on "Not A Sudden Problem"?

"I'd LOVE to write Bennett doing a care scene for Cas and Hali, especially a new ritual for both of them to confirm everyone is okay without being specific or traumatizing for either of them."

If it doesn't fit now, let me know and I'll give you another prompt.

*ETA I boosted on DW
Edited (spelling) Monday, 13 April 2020 21:22 (UTC)

Re: Does this count?

Posted by [personal profile] fuzzyred - Monday, 13 April 2020 22:30 (UTC) - Expand

Re: Does this count?

Tuesday, 14 April 2020 06:51 (UTC)
ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
That would be so awesome. :D I didn't have anything planned for aftercare, so the field's wide open.

Re: Does this count?

Posted by [personal profile] fuzzyred - Tuesday, 14 April 2020 22:52 (UTC) - Expand

(no subject)

Tuesday, 14 April 2020 01:32 (UTC)
readera: a cup of tea with an open book behind it (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] readera
I would love to see more of GemmaMom with the vamp sisters. She would probably be able to set up something to help her learn about and adapt to the present. 💗💗

Re: sent via PM

Posted by [personal profile] readera - Wednesday, 15 April 2020 15:07 (UTC) - Expand
shadowdreamer: A girl, smiling shyly, in a blue hoodie, with a blue scarf. The hood has large, fox-like ears, and the girl has short brown hair, blue eyes, and freckles. (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] shadowdreamer
It occurs to me, though, we haven't seen a lot of Shiv and Molly hanging out- or Shiv and Aida, either, for that matter. I could see some interesting option's there- my stir-craziness would love to see Shiv doing something outdoors with either of them, preferably something active- maybe a trip to meet the whales with Aida? I feel like Shiv and Steel could have some fascinating conversations.

Boosted over on my dreamwidth! (Post is also sharing journal space with something unrelated, though, because as I finished typing I noticed the date.)
ysabetwordsmith: Cartoon of me in Wordsmith persona (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] ysabetwordsmith
I have later plans for Shiv meeting the whales, but very little of that is set up yet. Boss White wants to retire, and will wind up moving to the Maldives, but that takes time.

Shiv enjoys the outdoors, though, and likes both Molly and Aida, so that's promising.

(no subject)

Tuesday, 14 April 2020 06:03 (UTC)
alexseanchai: Katsuki Yuuri wearing a blue jacket and his glasses and holding a poodle, in front of the asexual pride flag with a rainbow heart inset. (Default)
Posted by [personal profile] alexseanchai
someone's frustrated with [insert creative pursuit here] and, thanks to encouragement and possibly a bit of advice from someone else, it turns out great in the end

someone surprising someone else with making their favorite dinner, or handling a chore the someone else needed done and didn't want to do, or etc, for no particular reason

both your example prompts that don't name Heron sound great too (and that one might also if I remembered who Heron is)
Edited Tuesday, 14 April 2020 06:05 (UTC)

Re: Sent via PM

Posted by [personal profile] alexseanchai - Wednesday, 15 April 2020 19:36 (UTC) - Expand

Re: Sent via PM

Posted by [personal profile] alexseanchai - Wednesday, 15 April 2020 23:19 (UTC) - Expand